Sunday, April 24, 2011

In Memoriam Starke Jett V


I had a waking dream the night before my brother's funeral. In my dream I spontaneously stood at the end of the service and began singing Seek Ye First, knowing the congregation would follow. This beautiful hymn is easy to sing, can be sung in a round, and has a lovely descant. For these reasons we used to sing it quite frequently during communion in the little chapel at St Andrew's where all services were held, long before the new building was even a vision. It would be sung by the choir and the congregation as communion was being served. It was uplifting.


Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God
And His righteousness
And all these things shall be added unto you
Allelu Alleluia
Ask and it shall be given unto you
Seek and ye shall find
Knock and the door shall be opened unto you
Allelu Alleluia

But in my dream I could not remember the words and so hesitated to stand as I also cannot sing. I could not nudge Donny, who has a stunning voice, to sing because I could not remember the name of the hymn or any of the words, only the melody, which in any off key attempt by me would remain a mystery. The point was proven this morning when in telling Donny about the dream and trying to hum the tune for him, he could not figure out what hymn I was talking about.

Yesterday, the morning of the funeral, I forgot about the dream in the bustle of getting out of the house and on the road. It just came back to me today and I started crying. The funeral was all it should not have been. There was no praise for my brother's many accomplishments, save a lovely tribute by our sister, who at that had to muscle her way into the service. There were no hymns. There were no scripture readings. There were no prayers of commendation. I so wish I had remembered my dream in time to act upon it. Carry a tune or not, with or without words, I would have risen to the occasion. He deserved that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe when our family gets together this summer, we could do a short memorial for him and pray, read Scripture and ALL of us could join you in singing your special song! I would love to hear about Stardy's accomplishments and anything else you feel led to share! I missed you all and wished I could have been there. I love you, my Sandy Ball :) Thank you for being such a huge part of our family! Love, Bethie

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandy,
You and your entire family have been
in my thoughts and prayers since I
heard of your loss.
Our siblings share many precious
memories during our formative years.
I lost my brother - my only sibling -
in 1965 due to a MVA. He was 23.
As a military family traveling the
world over, I often looked up to
him for advice and guidance!
We are blessed to have wonderful
memories when God's Plan in not
one we would have chosen.
May those fond memories of years
shared sustain you now and in the
years to come. He and your dream
song will always be in your heart.
Starke knows of your feeling. Rest assured. Love, Janet

David K said...

Sandy, You and I have never met. I was friends with Starke in Williamsburg many years ago and lived in the Wythe house with him and Hennessy. I could not attend the funeral and it sounds as if there was great difficulty for Starke's family and friends. While these things are surely unbearably difficult, I pray that you also sense the beauty and joy that your brother brought to so many of his friends through his art and humor, and that this is how he is remembered. There are many, many people who pray for him and his family everyday. God Bless you all and may He bring you peace.

russ said...

Sandy, would you mind contacting me about your brother? I worked with him in Santa Barbara in the mid-80s. He was one of the most talented photographers I ever met. I was very saddened to learn of his death and would like to know more about his life after Santa Barbara. My email is russ@well.com. Thanks,

Russ

russ said...

Sandy, would you mind contacting me about your brother? I worked with him in Santa Barbara in the mid-80s. He was one of the most talented photographers I ever met. I was very saddened to learn of his death and would like to know more about his life after Santa Barbara. My email is russ@well.com. Thanks,

Russ